Welcome

"Since all these things will be dissolved, what manner of persons ought you to be?"

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Initial Oxford Feelings


The past few days have been a flurry of activity. On Friday, I moved into the house I will be living in this semester at Oxford. The house is huge and in a beautiful woody location about thirty minutes outside the hustle and bustle of downtown Oxford’s center. There are about forty other students who I will be sharing the house with, and I have three other roommates, so there’s never a dull moment around here. 

This weekend has been full of get-to-know-you type conversations and orientation afternoon teas. Although all this activity has been tiring, I have willingly thrown myself into it. I’m almost scared to be left alone with myself because my homesickness starts to choke me and I can just barely hold back tears. Nighttime silence has become a time I long for yet dread. Visions of home and peace flood my mind more easily when I have nothing to distract my thoughts. 
We begin classes tomorrow, and our orientation to all things Oxford. The coming of schoolwork will certainly bring stress, but it will be a distraction from this loneliness, so I welcome the work.. at least right now. Right now the year seems to stretch out before me like an unending highway, but I’m well aware that it will fly by just like this past summer, like every school year before now. I want to call this city and these people my home, as I learned to call Gordon my home. And maybe I will.. in time.

2 comments:

  1. You are going to do great, Victoria! And I can imagine you loving having roommates. You've always liked people more than I do. :) We'll have to set up a Skype date.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your time there sweetie. It will be gone before you know it and you'll be home again. This is the opportunity of a lifetime so have fun. We look forward to seeing you soon for Christmas break. We love you soooo much!

    ReplyDelete