Welcome

"Since all these things will be dissolved, what manner of persons ought you to be?"

Friday, April 29, 2011

Narcissus

It was absolutely gorgeous today. The sun was shining over the bluest sky I’ve seen in weeks. Students have caught spring fever; they’re running around playing frisbee, eating outside on the quad, and lying out beneath the flowering pear blossom trees. The warmth made me feel incredibly lethargic, so I didn’t want to do anything, not even drive to the beach.
Instead I walked around the pond in the woods behind Gordon. As I ambled, I spotted a couple of daffodils growing alongside the path and couldn’t resist plucking a few to put in the green vase back in my room. I think daffodils are also called narcissus, named after the beautiful Greek who fell in love with his own watery reflection. I thought of the myth as I waded through Gull Pond and lay out on the rocks. The heavy sun drifting down like a blanket over my eyelids. What a dreamy way to die—
so calm, so languid.

No comments:

Post a Comment